SUNDAY SEVEN: BEST FICTIONAL GIFTS

My birthday is coming up soon, ahh mid thirties and I started thinking about what I would love to have if such gifts were showered upon me. Of course we are talking fictional presents, but admit that sometimes you find yourself watching a show or playing a game or reading a book and thought to yourself, yeah I would like to have that. I have spoken about this before with the TARDIS and Point of View Gun. Here are some other things I would mind having. How about you?


The Holodeck (Star Trek): This is virtual reality at its best. It can be my own personal gym where I want to run from virtual zombies to reenacting my own version of American Gladiators or Double Dare (you know I would). But the Holodeck can also be my own vacation home. Feel like spending the evening at a cafĂ© in Paris. Done. Maybe some hiking in Rivendell for the weekend. Done. How about a act like a kid and ride every ride at a Six Flags Amusement park without waiting in line? The possibilities are endless. I could spend my free time inserting myself into a Jane Austen novel where I can picnic with the D’Arcys, where Katniss, Kate Bishop and I work on our bow skills, and I solve crimes with John and Sherlock. Seriously, why is this not real yet? Things I would do immediately once I was done with work: Eat dinner at Milliways (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe), Go blow off some steam with E and Garrus on the Citadel at the Armax Combat Arena, and maybe finish the evening off with some R&R lounging in a hammock with E on some secluded and warm island getaway. Sigh.


Dire Wolf Pup (Game of Thrones): E and I have been thinking about getting a furry child since we haven’t killed our plants. Plus you always ask for a puppy or a pony for your birthday. A dire wolf will protect you to the end, but also likes the snuggles on occasion. They are absolutely beautiful and huge when they grow up so essentially you are getting both the puppy and the furry pony all at the same time.


Replicator (Star Trek): Yep Star Trek has all of the awesome gadgets including a transporter, tricorders, and a space elevator. It’s a great little device. Of course for those of you who know and love Star Trek it was primarily shown used as a way to provide food and drink. Jean Luc wants his tea…voila. I want a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster…there you go. Or maybe I have a huge hankering for sirloin…it made it so. It means when I get home from work and have no real desire to cook a meal, the replicator does it for me. And the great thing is when E and I are done eating we put our dirty dishes back in the replicator and it recycles everything. Whoo hoo. A Replicator is also great for shopping. Want that dress in your size? Maybe need to buy a gift for your special someone? Or get a new piece of art for the home? All this can be done. And then when you outgrow those things, back in for recycling. I don’t think I can wait for the technology to show up in my lifetime. As in my birthday is in a month. Get on this.


Sonic Screwdriver (Doctor Who): It’s a great little tool. It fits in your purse or your pocket and can interface with any computer and control other electronic devices. It’s like having a universal remote to all things tech. Who wouldn’t want that as a birthday gift.



Holophonor (Futurama): In Futurama, the holophonor is a musical instrument that kind of looks like an oboe of sorts. Ooh an instrument for your birthday. Oh wait there is more. The music that is played triggers the projector part of the instrument allowing for listeners to view the music as well. Nobody is very good at it, but of course that is unlikely to stop me. I want to play and also my projected images would be completely bad ass. I would practice, practice, practice.



Hermione’s Time Turner (Harry Potter): I am always feeling like I need a do over now and again or sometimes I just need some more time. It’s nice because it is only short term time travel and sometimes that is all you need especially when you need to run those pesky errands and be at work at the same time. On top of that it is a beautiful little piece of jewelry which looks like an hourglass. All I would need to do is twist it depending on how many hours I want to travel back and then done. I would just have to take care not to run into myself.



Daemon (His Dark Materials): Ever since I read the books, I have always wanted a daemon which is your inner self in animal form. Dæmons have human intelligence, are capable of human speech—regardless of the form they take—and usually behave as though they are independent of their humans. When you are a child your daemon can change form voluntarily and can become any creature real or imaginary. Of course as you grow up, your Daemon settles into its final form. I wonder what mine would be.

Honorable Mentions:: Stitch (Lilo and Stitch), Cloaking Device (Predator), Babelfish (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy), Wand (Harry Potter), and Bubo (Clash of the Titans)

Comments

Amanda S. said…
Hmm, I think I'd want the time turner most of all! Fun list!

Popular Posts