Godzilla (2014): A Review

Godzilla
Directed By: Gareth Edwards
Written By: Max Borenstein and Dave Callaham
Genre:ACTION ADVENTURE/SCI FI
Rated: PG-13
Time: 123 min
Starring: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston, Juliette Binoche, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, and David Strathairn
Plot: The world's most famous monster is pitted against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.

Comments: Godzilla was part of my childhood as it was and has been for many. Who didn’t make little lego cities or sandcastle towns only to rage and roar across them? Okay those might be just my lil brother and I. We have always dug the kaiju and I was very excited to see this new version

At its core Godzilla is a disaster film. Humans can only watch in horror as they would a tornado or a hurricane. There is no stopping a force that big let alone more than one of them. You can run, hide, hope to survive, and then rebuild hoping that it doesn’t happen again. Maybe that is what I like about it. Humans were just in the way.

Whoo hoo lved the battles, loved the CGI, loved the epicness of it all. It had enough nods to the classic films of my youth and yet breathed new life into it at the same time. Alexandre Desplat’s score was sublime, but I usually love his stuff.

I did have some gripes. One: Godzilla as the balancer figure. I totally love that Godzilla was the apex predator, that he has been slumbering waiting for his food to show up. I love that the Muto spent centuries and decades maturing using the radioactivity to grow. But then Godzilla needs to actually eat the radioactive meat. Don’t make him a Godlike figure. Don’t make him the hero because he balances the scales. Make him the predator who just happens to save humans though not on purpose. Granted the hero Godzilla is a nice touch, have him possess an intelligence, but not for this film. Also as I am highly anticipating the new Avengers film, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver should not be making out. That is all.

Surprisingly enough I didn’t mind that our big guy has less screen time than the other Muto. I had anticipation. I rooted for him. I couldn’t wait for him to inadvertently save the day. Like I said this is a disaster movie but instead of tsunamis, you have giant monsters. Humans cannot control this, they can only witness it. We are tiny, insignificant, and inconsequential to what is happening. It worked with the story. Its not a perfect film, but it was the perfect way to begin my summer.

Rent/Cinema? Cinema. The only way to see the big guy is on the big screen, granted he will still look pretty good on my small screen when I buy him at Christmas. Also can I have more kaiju films? Please.

4/4 popcorns

Comments

Ishiro Honda's original vision for the beast was not as a hero or a villain, but as a victim of Man's runaway technology. It's a pity (more than that, it's a shame) that modern audiences could care less about substance and more for style, more for technique and less about texture.
-Peter H. Brothers, author of "Mushroom Clouds and Mushroom Men: The Fantastic Cinema of Ishiro Honda."

Popular Posts