THURSDAY CRUSH: FITZWILLIAM DARCY

Like most women who have read Jane Austen or a love for Colin Firth, we find a certain tall, dark and brooding man to be quite delectable. So why the love for the dashing Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice? How has he become the go to man of fiction? Here are my reasons why.

Admittedly I fell in love with Colin Firth’s version of Darcy and since then I have watched and rewatched The BBC set a hundred times. I’ve read the book countless times and Elizabeth and Darcy have helped me through breakups and bouts of the flu. Shirt soaked Darcy has the ability to make me swoon and be that girly girl romantic.

Now we all have our faults and Darcy has them, but in the end he saves Elizabeth’s family and keeps it a secret, refusing to be rewarded for being a hero. He is proud, arrogant and so sure of his wealth and position. So much so that he cannot possibly chat up the pretty Miss Elizabeth Bennett and her poor family. But then he falls for her and he falls hard. Despite his best efforts to keep her at a distance he finally tells her how much he is in love with her, “In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” he says that and rejects him, cruelly, but still he saves her family at great cost to himself because of how much he loves her. He is transformed by love and I fall for it every damn time.

I love women’s lib, but there is something about wanting someone to protect and love me despite the fact that I am an independent woman and I don’t really need a man to save me. I love that idea that your partner wants to help not because he is the decision maker or the head of the household, but because he loves you and he wants you to be happy. I love Darcy because he tells Elizabeth exactly how he feels about her and yes I completely dig that. He woos her in his own way and it is the furtive glances and the touch of a hand that makes me all warm and fuzzy.

So I guess that is why that 200 years later we still love Mr Darcy. It helps that his description is vague so we can put our own Fitzwilliam ideal in our heads. And frankly I love the whole Elizabethan age, cute dresses and in Austen’s world I can apparently be poor and still have a house to myself and no need to have a job. I could just garden and read and be all crafty like.

I am off to go watch the Keira Knightley version now. Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts