SUNDAY SEVEN: MAG LOVE

I have magazine love. While I currently subscribe to only 2, I have been known to make monthly trips to the local store to go and indulge my monthly issues of my favorite mags. Most of them are geeky in nature, but I am curious to see what your favorite magazines are. Here are my top Seven. What are your go to magazines?

Geek: A few years ago I fell in love with Geek Monthly. It was what I wanted in a magazine: science, and tech, comics, gaming, movies, etc. And then the publisher closed and I was a wee bit heartbroken. Luckily about a year ago, the magazine came back and for me better than ever. The latest issue has everything from a review and an insider’s guide to the tv show Revolution, to training tips for Jedis. There are also articles on Gears of War, exo-planets, the subculture of itasha and itachari, a discussion about Superman: Unbound, and so much more. If you are a geek, you will probably enjoy this bi-monthly mag. I know I do. Plus several months back they had Nathan Fillion in a Tux ala Bond on the cover and my ovaries may have twitched a bit.

Mental Floss: I love learning new things. In fact if I didnt have to have a job and had the funds to do so I would either collect hobbies like Penelope does in the Brothers Bloom or I would be a student pretty much all of the time. I dig trivia and useless information. These are the things that make me happy and there is a magazine for that. Devoted to trivia and knowledge junkies such as myself, the mental floss monthly magazine features little factoids from pop culture and then everything else you can think of. And it’s all done in a great way from graphs to quizzes to articles. I kind of dig it.

Wired: A must for any techno geek out there, Wired is all about the science and technology we use or really want to use every day. You don’t have to be a computer geek to enjoy it and I love that articles range from philosophy and art to the new advances in hardware or even social network etiquette. It is all about how technology changes us as a society and just humans in general. Well written articles, new things for me to understand and enjoy ...all in a pretty magazine.

Entertainment Weekly: This one is fairly self-explanatory. As a pop culture junkie, this is my go to magazine and one of the two that I actually have subscriptions for.

Make: Ah the magazine for all things crafty and for everyone. We are talking the CRAFT side of things which is sewing, jewelry, etc and then we have the original magazine which can help you build your own robot or create a lamp. It’s a lovely magazine, though admittedly I tend to buy Make: Craft more than anything when there are issues (it’s been a while, but it’s coming back)

Bust: BUST is a groundbreaking, independently run women's lifestyle magazine that connects with bright, cutting-edge young women. Fierce, funny, and proud to be female, its revolutionary editorial mix addresses a variety of women's interests, including pop culture, crafting, music, fashion, sex, news and celebrity interviews. What can I say I dig fashion and all those things that Cosmo wants me to like, but I want it for me and things I like. I want real sized models and articles about women and not 50 ways to get your man. For me this is Sassy all grown up and I love that.

National Geographic: Who doesn’t love Nat Geo? Want to learn something, here is your magazine. Glossy pictures, lovely things that make me want to explore the world and become a full time student, to become a photographer and a researcher. It’s a magazine that makes my brain all warm and fuzzy and I steal the old issues when my dad isn’t looking.

Honorable Mention:Discovery, Empire, Mollie Makes, and Rolling Stone.

Comments

Popular Posts