JOHN WICK: FILM REVIEW

John Wick
Directed By: Chad Stahelski
Written By: Derek Kolstad
Genre:ACTION ADVENTURE
Rated: R
Time: 106 min
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Michael Nyqvist, Alfie Allen, Willem Dafoe, and Ian McShane
Plot: An ex-hitman comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything from him.

Comments: 15 minutes into the movie I turned to E and said ‘They all have to die. I don’t care how, as long as it is horrible’. That is what John Wick is, a revenge film of the best kind that almost made me forgive Keanu Reeves for 47 Ronin. John Wick isn’t trying to be anything than what it is. The tone stays light, the plot isn’t overly complicated, and has enough action flash to keep you energized and wanting more. It is a revenge action flick starring an assassin who left that world behind and who is brought back by one horribly cruel act. We knew where it was going, pleased that it was going there, and enjoyed the ride to the end. The chase scenes, the fight scenes, the use of the word ‘Oh’ made me happy to see Reeves again and pray that hopefully this will be a series. If Liam Neeson can do it, so can Keanu.

Directed by two stuntmen, John Wick is the mythical boogeyman and one you should not cross. Tsk, tsk. The action scenes were fun and as E put it ‘I love that he always went for the head shot, the way a good assassin should’. That’s my man. But seriously people, I loved this movie. It’s funny, full of action and has a nice supporting cast that includes Willem Dafoe, Lance Reddick, John Leguizamo, and Ian McShane (seriously I want more hotel lore). I loved the hotel and those who could be staying there, and definitely those who run it. Oh the stories. I liked reactions from those who know Wick (the cop who comes to Wicks house…that exchange was priceless), I liked his car, and I liked the insert coin door at the hotel club.

Rent/Cinema? Rent (simply because it is no longer in theaters). I know I am late to the party because to be honest if I hadn’t seen a trailer about it during Fury, I never would have convinced E to go see it with me on date night.

Comments

Popular Posts