KING OF THE NERDS

I like this show. Not sure why and I am probably sure I shouldn’t but I want to be competing with the rest of them the way that I wanted to be on Remote Control. Why? Because I am a geek and I would kick some ass.

The premise is this: 11 self-described nerds go in, compete in a series of challenges ranging from cosplay to chess, comic book trivia to debates, until only one can be crowned King of the Nerds and take their place on the Throne of Games (I see what you did there, clever, clever). The contestants are varied from a NASA engineer, to a pro gamer, a scientist and more. Yes we have a few stereotypes present: socially awkward, or those not huge on the physical fitness. But for the most part everyone seems to be embracing things and celebrating their love for all things geeky and nerdy.

Hosted by Robert Carradine and Curtis Armstrong of Revenge of the Nerds fame, it also has guest judges like George Takei and Kevin Smith. The contestants live in Nerdvana, a geeked out home that has comic book versions of each player on the walls, action figures, a wicked gaming room, a bedroom that reminds me of Qbert, and a crafting room where I could make anything from a robot to a steampunk costume. Hooray. Awesome.

This week is the finale and it is interesting that those left are three girls and guy (go girly geek power). It is also down to two gamer girls, an RPG creator and a novelist/Batman fangirl. I have to admit while I adore my gamer girls, I am kind of rooting for Ivan because he’s just a nice guy. And he reminds me of a good friend.

On the official site they have a questionnaire. I thought I would put in my own answers.

1. Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead or Battlestar Galactica: I love them all for different reasons. And cannot choose because of this. Game of Thrones indulges my love for all things fantasy, political intrigue and love for Jon Snow. Battlestar Galactica will always resonate with me and has one of the best heroines in Kara Thrace and the Walking Dead has zombies. I love the comic and seeing it come alive on screen with some variances has made me happy.

2. World of Warcraft or Call of Duty: Mass Effect series. I have great RPG single player and then can squee with the multiplayer space magic awesomeness.

3. Math or Science: Science

 4. Edison or Tesla: Tesla (No contest there)

5. Asteroids or Ms. PacMan: Galaga

 6. Favorite Superhero: Batman with Gambit and Death close seconds. Always wanted to be Storm as well.

7. Favorite VideoGame: Mass Effect

 8. Favorite TV Show: Buffy: TvS, but again so hard to choose. I have many. hence the geek part. And all of the above mentioned ones in question one are favorites, so are Firefly, New Girl, Angel, Stargate, Farscape, Friends and more.

9. Favorite Movie: Not fair to choose. I could the top 5 in each genre. So I will go with the last film I watched and enjoyed: Warm Bodies. But the posters on my wall are good indications of my favorites: Secretary, Serenity, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Empire Records, Tank Girl, Amelie, Dark City, The Craft.

10. Favorite Musician or Band: Muse, Regina Spector, Imogen Heap, Paul Simon, and any band Maynard Keenan is currently involved in.

11. If you have a pet (what they are and what their name is): Nothing right now. I did have goldfish named Scully and Mulder and really want a little black kitty I can name Lady de Winter.

12. The one celebrity/icon (past/present) you would have wanted on your team on the show: Chris Hardwicke or the MythBusters.

13. Aliens – Exist or Myth: Exist. Would be a waste of space. Also we already know it exists already even if right now all we know is that it is in microbe form.

14. Favorite Game Show: Jeopardy. But past loves have been Remote Control and Double Dare.

May the best Nerd win on Thursday. 

Comments

Popular Posts