SUNDAY SEVEN: 7 MORE FILMS OF 2015

It is now 2015 folks. New adventures and new…MOVIES. Last week we went over the films for January through March. This time we are starting to get into the beginning of Summer Blockbuster territory. Did I miss anything? What are you looking forward to this year?

Furious 7 // April 3rd
Deckard Shaw seeks revenge against Dominic Toretto and his family for the death of his brother. Sadly this will be the last entry for Paul Walker who passed away last year. There is something about the Fast and the Furious movies that E and I just really enjoy. It has to be the cars. The pretty, pretty cars.

Avengers: Age of Ultron // May 1st
And thus the Summer Blockbusters begin. When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things don’t go as planned and Ultron is born. Now it is up to the Avengers to stop the villainous AI from eradicating humanity from Earth. Whoo hoo. This Marvel fangirl is excited. I have faith in Joss that he will wow me yet again. Also…Scarlet Witch. Perhaps laying the groundwork for a Civil War film. Introducing some characters we will see in their own films in the next few years. Seriously.

Far from the Madding Crowd // May 1st
While I love my action films, I also dig period pieces. I also have a soft spot for Thomas Hardy as depressing as his works are. In Victorian England, the independent and headstrong Bathsheba Everdene attracts three very different suitors: Gabriel Oak, a sheep farmer; Frank Troy, a reckless Sergeant; and William Boldwood, a prosperous and mature bachelor. The film stars my favorite ‘should have been a Doctor companion’ Sally Sparrow aka Carey Mulligan. I know I will see it. Because, yes, I am that sap. Told you I was a girly girl.

Pitch Perfect 2 // May 15th
Acca-scuse me? Oh hell yeah the Bellas are back. E and I love this movie, occasionally quote it and are excited to see the ladies try and win an international competition that no American team has ever won. Elizabeth Banks gets to direct this one and I have high hopes for it. And is soundtrack.

Mad Max: Fury Road // May 15th
Tom Hardy is taking over Mad Max Rockatansky in this installment from George Miller. An apocalyptic story set in the furthest reaches of our planet, in a stark desert landscape where humanity is broken, and almost everyone is crazed fighting for the necessities of life. Within this world exist two rebels on the run who just might be able to restore order. There's Max, a man of action and a man of few words, who seeks peace of mind following the loss of his wife and child in the aftermath of the chaos. And Furiosa (Charlize Theron), a woman of action and a woman who believes her path to survival may be achieved if she can make it across the desert back to her childhood homeland. Together they fight an evil warlord named Immortal Joe (Hugh Keays-Byrne). From what I hear Miller also used detailed storyboards instead of a script.

Tomorrowland // May 22nd
Bound by a shared destiny, a teen bursting with scientific curiosity and a former boy-genius inventor embark on a mission to unearth the secrets of a place somewhere in time and space that exists in their collective memory. George Clooney plays the role of inventor Frank Walker who travels in time in this sci-fi mystery film that also stars Hugh Laurie, Kathryn Hann and Tim McGraw. Brad Bird did a good job with Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and the script is co-written by Lost’s Damon Lindelof. The trailer made me interested, though it is another film based on a Disneyworld attraction. Then again so was Pirates of the Caribbean.

Jurassic World // June 12th
Twenty-two years after the events of Jurassic Park (1993), Isla Nublar now features a fully functioning dinosaur theme park, Jurassic World, as originally envisioned by John Hammond. After 10 years of operation and visitor rates declining, in order to fulfill a corporate mandate, a new attraction is created to re-spark visitor's interest, which backfires horribly…as per usual. Oh yeah Chris Pratt and the Raptor Pack. I don’t care how formulaic these films are or that no one seems to understand that you shouldn’t create hybrids out of extinct creatures. It doesn’t matter. Its dinosaurs. And Starlord. I remember seeing the first film a half a dozen times in the theater over 20 years ago…holy cow I’m old. I loved it. And then I moved to Montana, met Dr. Horner a few times, and still love the dinos. It has a decent cast and the trailer may have made me squee just a little bit.

Comments

Popular Posts