Fates Edge: Review

Fates Edge

Written by: Ilona Andrews
Paperback: 372 pages

Publisher:  Penguin Books

Language: English

December 2011, $7.99

Genre: Urban Fantasy/The Edge Series Book 3



Audrey Callahan left behind her life in the Edge, and she’s determined to stay on the straight and narrow. But when her brother gets into hot water, the former thief takes on one last heist and finds herself matching wits with a jack of all trades…

Kaldar Mar-a gambler, lawyer, thief, and spy-expects his latest assignment tracking down a stolen item to be a piece of cake, until Audrey shows up. But when the item falls into the hands of a lethal criminal, Kaldar realizes that in order to finish the job, he’s going to need Audrey’s help…


+++++++++++++

I love the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.  They are great fun and an mazing world.  The Edge series also by our lovely married duo is a little more heavy with the romance which I don’t mind because there is actually a great story within.  I will say that they are a bit formulaic, but then again so are all romantic comedies. Each of the books centers on a character we have met previously in the series, similar to the way Melissa Marr’s Wicked Lovely series is all in the same universe, just different characters. Kaldar Marr is one of those great characters that I was hoping we would get to see more of.  He is Cerise’s cousin from bayou Moon and by the way no you don’t need to have read the others to enjoy this one.

Things I loved:  One of my favorite writing duos does one thing exceptionally well, their world building.  In the Kate Daniels series we have Atlanta with magic and tech times and of course all of the preternatural happies we love to have in our urban fantasy.  In the Edge series we have the Broken (aka Muggle world), The Weird (full of magic and aristocracy), and then the Edge which belongs to neither.  There is a family clan structure to  it, a bit Southern or Appalachian mentality to the way things are done or more small time rural I suppose.   In any case its fun to read. And why not, it has wyrms, a great con, action, romance, intrigue, and my favorite set of brothers.

I also love Kaldar. To pieces. And all he would have to do is smile at me and I think I’d be the easiest mark ever.  I know I am not the only one. One of the reasons I liked this book was seeing the conman meet his match with a girl I  liked. Again how can you not like Audrey.  Her family pretty much used and abused her in favor of her less than worthy drug addicted brother.  She’s had it tough and even though she grew up amidst cons and thieves, she made something of herself. You know I think I liked most of the characters really.  In this book we even get to see life from Jack and George’s point of view.  And I love those boys.

Yes there is romance, but it works for me.  It is full of wicked banter and a slow boil to their romance, things I enjoy.  Audrey and Kaldar are perfect for each other and their happily ever after will certainly be fun for both parties. Audrey is great because she calls Kaldar on his bullshit and recognizes his merits. Kaldar sees through Audrey’s tough girl schtick and wants to be come a better person just for her.  Its all kind of sweet and when they finally do get together...yowzer.  Great scene kids.

But enough about the characters, the action is there.  The fun is there.  The intrigue and the little breadcrumbs of what is to come in some old baddies and heroes. It is a quick read and one that I think you would enjoy

Things I didn’t love so much:  As I said there is a bit of a formula happening: Tough, independent woman meets bad boy.  Romance ensues.  Really the only difference is the location, and the characters.   And all our dialogue tends to be the same, clever and wicked, tons of snark and yet those are things I love. But I can see why others may find it to be the same old thing again and again.  The story is a bit slow to start off but once it picks up, it really flies.

Buy or Borrow: Buy
Part of: A Series
Also Recommended: Kate Daniels series also by Ilona Andrews, the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr (for teh same different characters but same world feel), and The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.
 


3.25 out of 4 happy bibliosnark bookmarks 

The Soundtrack for this Post: Waiting for the Moon to Rise // Belle and Sebastian

Comments

Popular Posts