SUNDAY SEVEN: FICTIONAL WITCHES PT 2

One of the great things about October is all of the witchy goodness. As part of my 31 days of Halloween thought it would be great to talk about the best witches of film and fiction. I started thinking about my favorite witches beyond the obvious Hermione Granger, Sabrina Spellman and Miss Willow Rosenberg. Last week I named some of my favorites such as Kiki, Morrigan, and Sarah Bailey from the Craft. Here are the other seven ladies I adore so much. So, of course, I have to ask…what are yours?

Piper Halliwell
Charmed

Piper (Holly Marie Combs) was my favorite of the Halliwell sisters. She is the one that I related to the most and the power I totally dug. After the Halliwell sisters get their powers Piper gets the power to “freeze” her surrounding environment. This can come in handy as can later manifestations of her powers which included molecular combustion aka blowing stuff up. Piper was the peacemaker of the family, the shy one, and the sweet one. Also she ran a nightclub and I was uber jealous. Plus her chef abilities came in handy when making potions. Finally I am a Piper/Leo fan for life.

Robin Sena
Witch Hunter Robin

Witch Hunter Robin is an anime that followed Robin Sena, a 15 year old pyrokinetic witch who is trained to hunt down other witches. She is shy, but brave. She also carries around thousands of years of witches’ memories in her head. As the series progressed she accepted who she was and stopped believing in the holiness of the STN-J. It was a great series and I have wanted to do her cosplay for such a long time.

Misty Day
American Horror Story: Coven

Misty Day, played by the lovely Lily Rabe, is a young woman from a backwoods religious community in the bayous of Louisiana. She is also a hella powerful witch gifted with the power of resurrection. She is ethereal, a little lonely, and completely channeling Stevie Nicks (whom she thinks is a witch). I loved her quietness, her earthiness, and let’s face it most of her wardrobe. She was a great character in Coven and one of my favorite witches.

Medea
Greek Mythology, Euripides

You cannot discuss witches without mentioning Medea. A priestess of the goddess Hecate, she figures into the myth of Jason and the Argonauts. In the myth Jason is looking for the Golden Fleece and Medea agrees to help him as she has fallen in love. In return he agreed to take her with him and marry one once his quest was done. In my opinion Jason succeeds largely in part to everything that Medea does from potions, tinctures, warnings, and even perhaps murder. Of course in some stories she has a tragic end where Jason abandons her and their children to go marry the Princess of Corinth, Glauce. Medea has her revenge. It is a great myth and I love the many depictions of her throughout the ages.

Regina Mills
Once Upon A Time

“My life was never just one story. It was many stories. To some, a villain. I hurt people... in ways I can never make up for. To others, I'm... a hero. They've seen my strength, my ability to do the hard things, even when I thought I couldn't. I want to start a new story. One where the Evil Queen doesn't get a part. “ Not only is she one of the more complex characters on Once Upon A Time, but she has sass to spare. I love Regina. I have loved her as the Evil Queen and I have loved her as a hero. She has an amazing wardrobe both in Storybrooke and elsewhere. Lana Parrilla plays her oh so well. I had to put this witchy lady on my list.

Nymphadora Tonks
Harry Potter

I had to put at least one Harry Potter witch on this list and Tonks wins. Hufflepuff for the win and wife of Remus Lupin, I love her story as tragic as it eventually ends up. She is tough, brave, and loyal. You kind of have to be when you are an Auror. Played amazingly by Natalia Tena in the film versions of the books, one of the other reasons I love Tonks is her fashion sense and the fact that she is a Metamorphmagus. She had to be on this list. Also, I wish I could change my hair color the way she does by the way. So jealous.

Tara Maclay
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

When Tara first showed up into Willow Rosenberg’s life I was not a fan. I was kiind of a Willow/Oz shipper for a while and I thought Tara was too meek, almost too introverted for Willow who was finally starting to come into her own. But she grew on me. I let my former ship go and latched onto a new one. The relationship that she had with Willow made me smile. It was sweet. All Tara needed was time. I grew to really like her and admired that she didn’t need approval from anyone. She was who she was. She belong son this list because she is witch in her own right and has been practicing most of her life. Willow just had the mad skills. Man I miss Tara, too soon?

Runners Up Include: Melisandre (Game of Thrones), Sanderson Sisters (Hocus Pocus), Eglantine Price (Bedknobs and Broomsticks), Mombi (Stories of Oz), Circe (Greek Mythos), Cassie Hughes (Hex).

Comments

Popular Posts