SOPPY - A LOVE STORY: A REVIEW

Soppy: A Love Story
Written and Illustrated by: Philippa Rice
Hardcover: 108 pages
Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing
Language: English
December 2014
Genre: Comic/Graphic Novel/Slice of Life

True love isn’t always about the big romantic gestures.

Sometimes it’s about sympathizing with someone whose tea has gone cold or reading together and sharing a quilt. When two people move in together, it soon becomes apparent that the little things mean an awful lot. The throwaway moments in life become meaningful when you spend them in the company of someone you love.

SOPPY is Philippa Rice’s collection of comics and illustrations based on real-life moments with her boyfriend. From grocery shopping to silly arguments and snuggling in front of the television, SOPPY captures the universal experience of sharing a life together, and celebrates the beauty of finding romance all around us. After growing up on a farm in Virginia, Walthingham Hall in England expected to observe the mourning customs and get on with her life, but she can't accept that her brother's death was an accident.


+++++++++++++

I have read Philippa Rice’s webcomics before. They make me smile. They make me think of my own relationship with the Rogue.

Now beware this is a soppy (just like the title), sugary, mushy, story about a couple of cartoonists (In this case Philippa Rice and Luke Pearson) in love. Since I am a die-hard romantic it is my kind of tea. It begins when Philippa and Luke meet, first dates, and finally when they move in together. It is just a glimpse into their lives, but it is a simple and sweet one.

Things I liked: It is short and mostly wordless. Its slice of life storytelling in all of its loveydoveyness. I think the moments I love and can relate to the most are the small ones. I see myself and the Rogue every time E tucks his cold feet under my legs while we snuggle on the couch to steal my warmth. Its holding hands and deciding who is going to go get the pizza. It is every time the Rogue wears mismatched socks on purpose or tries to kiss me after he has eaten sardines. I see these snippets in Philippa’s life. I am happy and lucky enough to have that kind of relationship in my life.

The art style is chibi and adorable, the color scheme simple with its black, whites, and reds. There are too many panels that I love. I can only say that you should check it out yourself.

Things I didn’t like so much: I wanted more?

Buy or Borrow: Buy or at least check out her comics. It gave me the feels. It is also now added to our library.

Part of: Standalone

Also Recommended: Give Luke and Philippa’s other works try such as My Cardboard Life by Philippa Rice and Hildafolk by Luke Pearson. Other great comics are Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh, Fun Home by Alison Bechdel, American Elf by James Kochalka, and any of Lucy Knisley’s comics. Don’t think you will be disappointed.

4 out of 4 happy bibliosnark bookmarks 

Comments

Popular Posts