Captain America: Winter Soldier - A Review

Captain America: Winter Soldier
Directed By: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
Written By: Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely
Genre:ACTION/ADVENTURE
Rated: PG 13
Time: 136 min
Starring: Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Redford, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Cobie Smulders
Plot: After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Marvel's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" finds Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, living quietly in Washington, D.C. and trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off assailants sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy—the Winter Soldier.

Comments: I am a Marvel fan and while never really a huge Captain America fan (more because I never really read any of his stand alone stuff), I have had a renewed interest in the character and after the last film began catching up. So of course when I saw the first Winter Soldier trailer I was very excited. It’s been tough for Steve Rogers (Chris Evans). He is a man out of time and while he tries to keep busy doing missions for SHIELD, he is having a bit of a rough time. Natasha/Black Widow (Scarlet Johansson) does her best to try and help, but it’s hard. Evans does a great job of exuding that confusion. Everything has changed. He’s a good guy who is trying to figure out if he is merely a yes man now or if he wants to be something more. He still has his ideals and his morality whereas his partner Natasha has given up almost all of hers for the sake of her job.

There are so many great things about this film. I love that if you took out the superhero bits you would have a great political/spy thriller that isn’t hard to relate to with all of the NSA stuff going around these days. This is great because it not only will appeal to a broader audience of both fans and non-fans, but I felt like it breathed new life into the overall main Marvel franchise. I found myself relating to the universe again and not liking it for completely different reasons other than me being a big giant Marvel fangirl.

“On your left” I loved Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson. Falcon is awesome, but more than that he is a great character. As a war veteran he connects with Steve on a level that others cannot. He understands what it is like to be a fish out of water when you come back to civilian life. They know what it is like being in war and the horrors and tough choices they have had to make. You also like Sam because he is an outsider. Through him we get to learn more about SHIELD and their tactics, morality or lack of, and overall have the everyday guy…ok with wings.

The film has twists and turns everywhere. Double crosses, surprises, and enough shocks to make me thrilled. I also loved it because there are enough nods to those who have read the comics (Agent 13, The Winter Soldier holding the Cap’s shield, etc) to make us happy and all warm and fuzzy like. And holy cow I cannot wait to see the repercussions of this film reverberate through the next set of Marvel films. Whee. Talk about a grenade going off.

My only problem I had with the film is that I wanted more Winter Soldier. I felt like he was underused as awesome as every action scene was. I really felt like his character was skimmed over compared to some of the others. However that is my own really big gripe. I got more than what I wanted. I got awesome and I cannot wait to see it again. Also…you go Maria Hill!

Rent/Cinema?See it.

4/4 popcorns

Comments

Popular Posts