NEW SERIES: PART TWO

Winter and Spring bring a whole new array of tv shows for me to thrive on. Since the fall I have let go of a lot of them: Prime Suspect, Two Broke Girls, Ringer, and more. In fact the only ones I have really stuck with are American Horror Story, Revenge and New Girl. Here are my new favorites.




PORTLANDIA: Starring SNL alum Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein, formerly of Sleater-Kinney star in a collection of weekly shorts centered around Portlandia. Currently it airs on IFC.

I am digging the new season of Portlandia. It is too funny and yes I can relate to it far too much. I do live in Bozeman after all where we grow our own food, brew our own beer, hike a lot, have beards and staches aplenty, sew our own clothes and are big on the whole indie craft thing, and think puppies are awesome. It’s kind of like the 1890’s with snow. (those of who who have seen the last couple of episodes are smiling at this description). It really is a great show though and some of the ‘skits’ have included BSG, bad art for good walls, not bringing your bag to the co-op, and has also included stars like Jeff Goldblum, Kristen Wiig, Eddie Vedder and more. It also just makes me want to visit the Pacific Northwest even more despite the sarcasm involved with all things Portlandia.

++++++++++++++++++++++


LOST GIRL: Lost Girl is Syfy channel’s newest import from Canada which centers on Bo, a succubus as she learns to control her abilities, discover who she really is and help those in need.

Syfy’s newest import from Canada makes me happy. I like it thus far, Dyson aka Kristen Holden-Reid can be my pickup anytime he wants to be, and it’s really not a bad show thus far. Maybe its because I am a sucker for all things fae though in this case its every monster just divided into light or dark. Admittedly I am totally team Dyson, but thats because Team Lauren hasn't really showed up yet. Also I am a fan of Canadian genre shows: Forever Knight, Highlander, Friday the 13th: the series, VR5, Poltergeist: The Legacy, and Blood Ties to name a few.

+++++++++++++++++++++++


FACE OFF: Face Off is a competition/elimination series exploring the world of special-effects make-up artists and the unlimited imagination that allows them to create amazing works of living art. The contestants are tasked with elaborate feature challenges including executing full body paint make up on models and creating their own horror villain. Each episode involves incredible reveals of the competitors' finished work, and the drama of one contestant being sent home by the panel of expert and celebrity judges. It all culminates in one winner and one grand prize that will launch a career.

The second season of Syfy’s special effects makeup competition has begun. There are some great contenders this year and then others where I still don’t understand why they are there. The themes have been interesting: re-imagine the Wizard of Oz, create an underwater creature or create a horror movie villain based on a phobia, but I am still waiting for that holy shit they are amazing episode. Still, if I’m going to watch a reality based show I would rather it be this one.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++


THE FADES: Paul, a young man who is haunted by apocalyptic dreams that neither his therapist nor best friend, Mac, can provide answers for. Worse still, Paul is starting to see the Fades – the spirits of the dead – all around him. Though they are everywhere, they can’t be seen, smelt, heard or touched by living beings. But now an embittered and vengeful Fade has found a way to break the barrier between the dead and the living, leaving Paul, Mac and their friends and family caught in the eye of the storm with the fate of humanity resting in their hands.

Supernatural Saturday on BBC America is often hit or miss with me. As a hard core Whovian I have to say hell yes to Doctor Who, Torchwood and Being Human. I am not a fan of Merlin or Primeval, Hex was just fine, Outcasts has me interested and now we have The Fades. I am still waiting for the show to really grab me but I keep watching, interested in where it is going to go and kind of delighted with the unexpected events that keep happening to major players. Plus Mac’s pop culture geeky references keep me happy.

++++++++++++++++++++++


DOWNTON ABBEY: Downton Abby - a sprawling, lavish Edwardian mansion and park nestled in the lush North Yorkshire landscape - needs an heir. Dame Maggie Smith turns in a show-stopping performance as Violet, the charmingly stubborn Dowager Countess of Grantham, matriarch of Downton and the irrefutable authority on everything. Hugh Bonneville stars as her son, the stoic, unflappable Earl of Grantham; Elizabeth McGovern plays his far-sighted American wife, Cora; and a star-studded cast round out the glittering, gossipy, and beguiling men and women of this epic tale from Academy Award-winner Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park). After a tragedy at sea claims the life of the presumed heir, Lord Grantham is faced with the possibility that the house he's loved his whole life might someday belong to a distant cousin he's never met. But before he can worry about that he must deal with his scandalous daughter, Lady Mary - considered by many to be the rightful heir to Downton. Even the staff has opinions on the family's affairs. And while most are devoted to those they serve, there are others whose selfishness and scheming do more than simply disrupt the well-oiled inner workings of the estate. As the servants' mischief escalates, even the most faithful employees begin to imagine a different life.


I love PBS and Masterpiece Theatre to pieces. This year Downton Abbey has returned. I still love the costumes and the drama. It makes me giddy really. This year we’ve had the war, loves and losses, and more love for Dame Maggie Smith. While not as engaging as the first season, I still love it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++


HOUSE OF LIES: A new series from Showtime about management consultants. The job is described as impossible to describe, but the general idea is that they're con artists who make troubled corporations dependent on their own company's advice. As legend-in-his-field Marty Kaan (Don Cheadle) puts it, the goal is to "make them think they can't live without us .... while we infect the host and bleed them dry." It stars Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell

I like House of Lies because it reminds me of Thank You For Smoking. The lead characters are your antiheroes who dress to the nines, spend far too much time on airplanes and in airport lounges, and explain their not so nice jobs to the audience with each episode. But they also have private lives that either make them more sympathetic or make us want to hit them with a brick. There is a lot of humor and I am a sucker for anything Kristen Bell is because I was a huge Veronica Mars fan. It is also created by Matthew Carnahan who did “Dirt” with Courtney Cox which I also kind of dug.

++++++++++++++++++++++++


THE RIVER: Famed explorer Dr. Emmet Cole went looking for magic deep in the uncharted Amazon and never returned. The shocking truth about his disappearance is out there, somewhere, just waiting to be discovered. To the millions of kids who grew up watching his nature show, Dr. Cole was a hero. To his own son, Lincoln, he was more of an enigma. Now, six months after he vanished, Lincoln is finally ready to bury the past when Dr. Cole’s emergency beacon suddenly goes off. At the urging of his mother, Tess, Lincoln reluctantly joins her on a search for his father. To fund the rescue, they agree to let Dr. Cole’s cagey ex-producer, Clark, film the mission documentary-style. The mixed crew of old friends and new acquaintances includes the sexy and resourceful Lena (Eloise Mumford), loyal mechanic Emilio and lethal bodyguard Captain Kurt Brynildson.

After watching Chronicle and kind of digging the new craze of found footage stuff, I decided to catch The River brought to us by the same man who has done Paranormal Activity. Its kind of set up to be a monster of the week episodic mini-series, but I am okay with that. I even had a horrible twisted dream of the tree of dolls because lets face it that was just creepy. Lately its been my fave show to watch in the dark, the way I did with American Horror Story.

Other Shows that have held my interest are The Nerdist because Duh, Alcatraz and my guilty pleasure of Spartacus: Vengeance. What shows have captured your interest in the past couple of months? Have you liked any of the ones I have mentioned?

Comments

Popular Posts