The Sunday Seven: Bad Movies

I thought I would do something a bit different. Not only in an effort to do a little more posting, but maybe hear from a few of you. So the Sunday Seven has begun. It will be a list 7 choices of course, the topics varying. Sometimes it will be literary, sometimes pop culture or maybe even readers will choose the topic. If I am really good I may come up with a banner, but if you want to share your own, let me know and I will post your answers so everyone can see your picks. This week: Bad movies you love anyway.

The Sunday Seven Worst Movies You Love: These are the movies that critics blasted where the dialogue and effects are cheesy, probably the plots too, but despite their overall badness you cannot help but love them. You may own them and you can probably quote a line or two.

1. Ice Pirates (1984): Robert Urich, Angelica Huston and Ron Perlman as space pirates. The bounty: water. Oh and a princess. Completely absurd, highly entertaining. Where else are you going to get Space Herpes, robots, Frog Lady, and Amazon women who ride unicorns?


2. Erik the Viking (1989): Behold Erik the Viking, Ulf the Unmemorable and Horribly Slain Warrior. Directed by Terry Jones this really is a Monty Pythonesque parody of all that is Viking. Completely fun. Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!


3. Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon (1985): When I say "Who's the master?" - you say... Sho Nuff! If you haven’t seen this film, why not? It’s an action kung fu movie that is a total parody and yet everyone plays it like it is not. Who didn’t want to glow all gold like when you do kung fu and then have a wicked dance off after the win?


4. The Queen of the Damned (2002): I know it is bad. I know it has no bearing on the books. But I dig the soundtrack and Stuart Townshend does a great rocker Lestat. Hello leather pants and hip bones. That is all I have to say. Plus it’s a vampire movie, so you know I have watched it a couple of times. Did I mention Stuart Townshend?


5. Xanadu (1980): Gene Kelly, Olivia Newton John, ELO soundtrack and rollerskates. A muse falls in love with a mortal and decides to help him open up a roller rink. *nod* When I was a kid I used to rollerskate with one of my mothers bellydancing scarves on my head so that I had a streak of color like all the muses had in the film. I also memorized the whole Xanadu roller derby dance. No one can take away my love for this film.


6. Only the Strong (1993): When I was in high school this movie came out. It features capoeira which is an Afro Brazilian martial art. Short story: Former green beret returns home to discover that his old high school has become filled with gangs and drug dealers. He decides to take the worst students and teach them capoeira, but of course in doing so he makes an enemy of the local drug lord and master of capoeira. Cliché plot and ending follows. It was thanks to this movie that a friend of mine enlisted in capoeira classes after seeing the movie. Sadly Mark Dacascos did not teach the class though I think we were delusionally hoping he would. I lasted last than a year before being distracted onto other things. Kind of wish I had stuck with it.


7. Teen Witch (1989): What teenage girl didn't want to become a full fledged with on her 16th birthday, become the most most popular girl in school, win the heart of the hottest boy in school, and of course learn a valuable lesson in the end? Just me? Didn't think so. Total cult classic with a jammin soundtrack. I mean who can beat the song "Top that" or "Popular Girl".I know I am not the only person that loves this flick.

Honorable Mentions: Summer School, The Last Starfighter, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Once Bitten, Dead Alive, Love Potion Number 9, and Airborne

Do you have your own list to share, let me know and I will post it.

Comments

Harry Markov said…
Boy, you ask hard questions. I can't say I love movies that people hate, because I watch and then don't rewatch.

I'd say. Transylmania. It's a 2009 movie and for me it was a LOL experience, while it hols a 0% at Rotten Tomatoes...

I loved Mortal Kombat. Drag Me to Hell was hated, though that was more of everybody I know than the critics. To be honest my memory does not extand that far.
I have a soft spot for Mortal Kombat. I dont know why I didnt fall head over feet for Drag Me To Hell. I love Sam Raimi (Evil Dead series rocks), but I wasnt smitten. Haven't seen Transylmania. Is it a Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus sort of film?
Shari said…
Just spent some time reading your blog and laughing, laughing and then snorting cause I was laughing so hard of course. Now following because what's better than snorting till your sides hurt i ask you? Shari over at myneuroticbookaffair.blogspot.com

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes-horrible movie, great laugh factor, Heathers such a terrible movie but i love it so much and have even introduced my daughters to it.
I totally love Heathers...strip croquet anyone? I dont consider that a bad movie. But yes Attack of the Killer Tomatoes counts. While I dont own that one, I should totally put in my netflix queue to watch again.

Pleasure to meet you Shari.

Popular Posts