SUNDAY SEVEN: GEEKY COUPLES (MOVIE EDITION)

Not sure why I am feeling all lovey dovey and such in the middle of June, but apparently I am. Maybe it is because I decided to read Looking for Alaska again (now that Sarah Polley is set to direct) or am somewhat curious about the TV version of Outlander. Doesn’t matter I suppose. Romance happens everywhere and there are some amazing couples out there in the geekverse. This week I am going to focus on the movie romances and we will go on from there.


Princess Leia/Han Solo (Star Wars)
“I love you.” – Leia 
“I know. ” - Han 
It’s iconic and so is their love. The Princess and the Rogue, what a combination. How could you not love them? How could they not be on this list? I need to say nothing more. They are the geek couple.


Westley/Buttercup (The Princess Bride)
“This is true love – you think this happens every day?”– Wesley
He did as she wished and Buttercup treated him with indifference. Somehow, though, they managed to fall in love. A love so strong that not even death could separate them (it helps that he wasn’t completely dead). Their love story is amazing and one I grew up with. Plus they do share one of the greatest kisses in all of history.


Arwen/Aragorn (The Lord of the Rings)
“I choose a mortal life.” – Arwen
“You cannot give this to me.” – Aragorn
“It is mine to give to whom I will. Like my heart.” – Arwen
Arwen gives up her Elvish immortality to live beside her one love, Aragorn who is mortal. Despite her father’s misgivings and despite what she knows will happen (she will outlive her lover), she is willing to spend her days with Aragon. It’s a classic love.


Eve/Wall-E ( WALL-E)
“EVE!” – WALL-E
“WALL-E!” - EVE
Aw robots in love. WALL-E has spent year after year with only an adorable cockroach as company, so it is no wonder when EVE’s shiny slick curves has him all aflutter. They don’t have much when it comes to dialogue, but I trust their love than most couples in romantic comedies. Its silent movie romance and plus they are adorable. Did I mention robots in love?


Korben Dallas/Leeloo (The Fifth Element)
“We're newlyweds. Just met. You know how it is. We bumped into each other, sparks happen...” - Korben
“Mul-ti-pass.” – Leeloo
“Yes, she knows it's a multipass. Anyway, we're in love.” – Korben
Their love saves the universe. That’s pretty much it. Okay, I love them because it’s the two bad asses that fall in love. She’s the Supreme Being. He is a meat popsicle. Sure she almost shot him when he stole a kiss, but in the end they kick a lot of ass and save the day.


Sarah Connor/Kyle Reese (The Terminator)
““I came across time for you, Sarah. I love you. I always have.” – Kyle Reese
Skynet wants to win the war against humans so it sends back a Terminator to kill Sarah Connor, mother of John Connor who leads the resistance. The resistance sends someone as well, a soldier named Kyle Reese. He came across time to save her life. They fell for each other when they weren’t being shot at. Aww. “And maybe it'll be enough if you know that in the few hours we had together we loved a lifetime's worth.”


Paul Muad’dib /Chani (Dune)
“I see us giving love to each other in a time of quiet between storms. It's what we were meant to do.” – Chani
Paul is the son of a Duke on a water filled world, Chani is a Fremen on the desert planet Arrakis. Long before they even meet, Chani was in Paul’s dreams. When Paul finally arrives on Dune, Chani is assigned to guard him and help him assimilate to life on Arrakis. Paul is drawn to her, recognizing her form his dreams. When Paul defeats the Emperor and ascends the Imperial Throne, he takes Princess Irulan as his wife, but in name only. Paul remains utterly devoted to Chani, who - while officially just a concubine - he considers his true love and wife.

Honorable Mentions: David/Elise (The Adjustment Bureau), Richard/Elise (Somewhere in Time), Pete/Dorinda (Always), and Tommy/Isabel (The Fountain).

Comments

Popular Posts