SUNDAY SEVEN: SUMMER MOVIES PT1

The summer means warmer weather, sandals, dresses, flowers, lemonade and of course, the Summer blockbuster. Whoo hoo the summer movies have begun. I have already seen Iron Man 3, Star Trek and the Great Gatsby, but we have three more months of goodness. Now the great thing about the summer flick is that they are a bit different than your other seasonal flicks. Its popcorn movie time: action, humor, and two hours of fun escapism. Here are some of my favorite movies that I am looking forward to. So what are yours?

Man of Steel: June 14th. Growing up I was always a bit of a Batman fan, at least more so than being a Superman fan. Superman seemed a bit too much of a boy scout. Sure he is a superhero, but almost too much of one. I couldn’t relate to him, but now I think Zack Snyder may be bringing him down to Earth. The trailer looks awesome and I am looking forward to seeing what Snyder can do with the mythos and if we are really lucky, maybe see a Justice League movie hint.

Much Ado About Nothing: June 7th. There are a few things I love: Shakespeare, Joss Whedon, Nathan Fillion, comedy romance. I love that Joss brought all of that together when he decided to invite all of his buds to his place and film a black and white modern retelling of the comedy. It looks fantastic and I cannot wait to see it though sadly I doubt it will come here. *pout*

Bling Ring: June 14th. Inspired by actual events, a group of fame-obsessed teenagers use the internet to track celebrities' whereabouts in order to rob their homes. Now I love Emma Watson and the last film I saw her in (Perks of Being a Wallflower) left Hermione far behind. This one apparently leaves Miss Granger even further behind. This is also a film by Sofia Coppola who hasn’t made a movie I haven’t enjoyed yet.

Monsters University: June 21st. Sully and Mike are iconic. They kind of fill me with warm fuzzies really and to see them in animated college hijinks leaves me feeling all giddy like. Plus you have the voices of Helen Mirren, Nathan Fillion, and Steve Buscemi.

Pacific Rim: July 12th. Kind of the epitome of what Summer blockbuster means: monsters, destruction, and robots. Complete popcorn film. Plus it is brought to me by Guillermo del Toro who brings me visual prezzies when he directs a film. It is his version of Godzilla or a Japanese anime and I am okay with that.

The Wolverine: July 26. Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine battling ninjas and the yakuza – works for me. Wolverine makes a voyage to modern-day Japan, where he encounters an enemy from his past that will impact on his future. And yes I am completely shallow in the hopes that I will get to see Jackman shirtless. And possibly with a sword.

RIPD: July 19th. Based on the graphic novel, the movie version looks like Men in Black but with monsters and demons. Now I haven’t read the comic, but the film looks fun especially when the real world sees Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds as a supermodel and a little old Asian guy. It looks funny. Total popcorn movie. Plus I can swoon over Reynolds any time.

Honorable Mention:Now you See Me, Violet and Daisy, Byzantium, Black Rock, Fast and Furious 6, and The Purge.

Comments

Popular Posts