The Literate Housewife

This week is Book Blogger Appreciation Week and I had the chance to swap interviews with the amazing Jennifer over at the literate housewife. She has an amazing little site. Not only does she read a little bit of everything but her reviews are quite thoughtful and more than just a quick blurb. If she isnt already on your radar, she should be.



THE BASICS:
Name: Jennifer
Blog Name: The Literate Housewife Review
Blog URL: http://literatehousewife.com
Country: USA

This is your back bio blurb. In 50 words or less describe yourself.
I am a 30-something wife and mother of two. By day I am a Senior Business Systems Analyst. By lunch break and evening, I am the Literate Housewife. I do my best to keep a tidy home for the insatiably literate.

+++++++++++++

THE BIBLIOPHILE:
What inspired you to start a blog? Especially about books?
At the end of 2006, I decided to make a resolution that had nothing to do with my family or my career. Since my youngest daughter was born, I had been very depressed and the only thing that kept me sane were my 2am readings in my rocking chair. That gave me the inspiration to attempt to read 52 books in 2007. This blog began in January of '07 as a way for me to keep track of those books.

Have you always been an avid reader?
Yes, I've always loved to read. I used to spend my weekends and summers reading anything I could get my hands on.

What is it that you love the most about reading?
What I love the most is the way reading engages my mind and spirit at the same time. It also gives me the freedom to travel anywhere at any time. It is relaxing and adventurous to me at the same time.

What are some of your favorite authors?
My favorite authors are Margaret Mitchell, Philippa Gregory, Jane Austen, Ernest Hemingway, and Stieg Larsson most recently.

If you could only read 5 books for the next decade, which five books would they be and why?
What a nightmare! It's only for a decade though. Phew! I would choose Gone with the Wind, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Old Man and the Sea, U2 by U2 (eye candy), and War and Peace because I've never read it and it would take a good part of that decade to finish it. LOL!

What is your favorite genre to read? Why? What do you love most and least about that genre?
My favorite genre is Historical Fiction. I fell in love with it after reading The Other Boleyn Girl. Ever since them I've been fascinated by Tudor England. Recently I've been branching out to other countries and time periods. I love it because it encourages me to dig deeper into history so I learn a lot while while reading some great fiction.

If you become any character from a book or inhabit a particular literary world, who or where would you be?
This is a really tough question. Most of the characters in Tudor fiction are in way too much danger for me to actually want to become them. I've always loved Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Even though they were poor, they had such a loving family and it was such an interesting time in our country's history. I think I would choose that world.

What are your reading habits? Do you read one book at a time or do you read several? Any particular time of day? Any particular genre?
I read every spare moment I get. The most egregious place I read is at long stop lights - hey, I get a good paragraph or two in before the light changes and I never read while driving. I have a book in my purse and an audio in progress at all times. I get the most solid reading in while my daughters are watching Noggin or after they are in bed. I usually have a book in print and a book on audio going. If I'm having trouble getting into one or the other, I might have three. Historical Fiction and Gothic are my favorites, but I'll read just about anything so long as it isn't overly political, fantasy, or science fiction.

Speaking of reading habits, how big is your TBR pile? Do you keep adding to it?
My TBR is huge, but I can't give you an exact number. They are written down on scraps of paper and put into a little folder thingy in my purse. I've always been meaning to organize what I don't have already. Thankfully since I started entering all of my books with LibraryThing, I have a decent grasp of what I own that I want or need to read. I have roughly 190 books waiting to be read. That decade with only 5 books would kill me! LOL!

THE BLOGGER:
Since you have begun your blog what has been your favorite book you’ve read?
My favorite book since the beginning of 2007 is The Other Boleyn Girl. It was just the right book at the right time. That's not to say that I haven't read other incredible books. I just keep going back to that book because it was so defining for me and for my blog.

Do you read other book blogs? If so do you have any favorites?
I read a lot of other book blogs. My Google Reader is my salvation in that respect. It's the only way I really can keep up with as many as I do. In a way I'm a little anxious about BBAW because it's going to make my Google Reader explode.

What do you love most and least about being a book blogger?
What I love most about being a book blogger is the connections I've made with other book lovers all over the world. I live in a small, rural community. Without my book blog, I'm rather limited in bookish conversation.

What I least like about being a book blogger is the struggle to maintain a balance between my life and my blog. It's difficult and I don't always feel successful. My goal for next year is to get better at that.

What advice would you give to other avid readers who want to launch their own book blog?
Just do it! If you love books, engaging in bookish conversation, and have a desire to start a blog, you're half way there. Don't be afraid to ask advise of your favorite book bloggers. Just be patient when you're getting started. It takes some time to build rapport. If you enjoy what you do and are true to yourself, you'll do great.

++++++++

So there you have it the Literate Housewife aka Jennifer. She's a great woman who knows what she likes and isn't afraid to speak her mind. I have her bookmarked. Do you?

Comments

Valerie said…
I enjoyed reading both your interviews. I already follow Jennifer; and it's nice to have discovered your blog! Isn't BBAW fun?!
Literary Feline said…
It's nice to get to know you more, Jennifer!

I enjoy historical fiction too--although I don't read nearly enough of it. I say that about every type of book I love though. :-) Jane Austen and Ernest Hemingway are among my favorite authors too.

Thank you for the great interview!
Anonymous said…
She's been in my Google Reader for ages...definitely one of my favorites.

This was a fantastic interview!
Anonymous said…
PS...LOVE your blog name!

Popular Posts